929 NW FLANDERS ST
PORTLAND, OR 97209
A.I. Gallery (UK)
Iyvone Khoo (born in Singapore) lives and works in London, UK.
Her diverse media include glass, video, light, bioluminescence and invertebrates.
Khoo confronts the peril of how we set ourselves apart from nature as if it is different from us.
Her practice explores the ephemeral transitory of the human condition within nature as she observes
the phenomenon present in the microcosm and the macro cosmos.
In her work, it aims to facilitate a hypothetical conversation between man and nature.
Situated in the overlap and contrast between ideas of nature and the artificial, Khoo speculates interspecies communication, environmental consciousness through her practice.
She is known for her work that explores the aesthetics and artistry of bioluminescent.
As a MEAD Fellow, she collaborates with scientists from Scripps Institution of Oceanography filming
living bioluminescent phytoplankton.
Iyvone has exhibited in the UK, USA and internationally.
Her works are collected in private collections.
Upcoming and Current
‘Shamanism’, Gallery 46, London, UK
‘The Absence of Myth’, UPFOR Gallery, Portland, USA
'Salva Mea' (Save Me), The Screening Room, Exploratorium, San Francisco, USA
‘Spirit Dream Machine’, Burning Man Honoraria Arts Grant, USA
‘Infinity Cube’, Birch Aquarium at Scripps, USA
'Force of Nature' The Art Pavillon, London, UK
'The Edge of Reasons', Transfer Gallery, New York, USA
'Infinity Cube' Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, USA
'Ara Lucidus', House of Saint Barnabas, London, UK
MEAD Showcase, University of The Arts London, UK
'Gotika' GLASSTRESS, Venice, Italy
'Pollux Capella' Zotts ArtSpace, Italy
'WhiteLight/White Heat ' GLASSTRESS, Fashion Space Gallery, UK
'WhiteLight/White Heat' GLASSTRESS, Venice, Italy
'Kaleidoscope' Mowlem Studios, UK
''Here and Now', Modern Panic' Guerilla Zoo, UK
'PUSH' RSP Architect, UK
'Luminance Light Festival' Singapore
'FutureMap', Zabludowicz Collection, UK
'The New Pretenders' BargeHouse, UK
'Some you win some Deleuze', The Factory, UK
'Conversation Interrupted' JT Gallery, London, UK
'6th Singapore Short Cuts' National Museum of Singapore
AWARDS & COMMISSION
2018, installation, 'Spirit Dream Machine', Burning Man, USA
2017, installation, 'Infinity Cube' Birch Aquarium at Scripps
2013, Mead Fellowship, University of Arts London
2013, Berengo Student Prize, Glasstress, London College of Fashion
2009, Short Film, 'The Moth Catcher' North London Film Fund, Film London
2008, Small Arts Grant, 'Lenses and Lasers' The Wellcome Trust
2006, Short Film, 'Knock! Knock!' SkillSet Film Fund, LDA
2004, Short Film, 'Mika' New Vista Film Awards, USA
Central Saint Martins - MA Fine Arts, 2011
Northwest Vista College - Certificate in Digital Media, 2004
P R E S S
• Exploring the Invisible: Art, Science and the Spiritual: A Cultural History - L.Gamwell, (Princeton University Press)
• Iyvone Khoo harness the light of plankton for Molecular Art - B-Side Magazine
• Putting the Spotlight on Artists Who Glow - NOISE Magazine
• The artistry of Bioluminescence - Science Direct
• The Making of Infinity Cube - ASLO
• San Diego’s Art and Science scenes are starting to collaborate - Voice of San Diego
• The Infinity Cube – The San Diego Union-Tribune
• Artist Iyvone Khoo creates Immersive Infinity Cube - Artlyst
• The insanely beautiful Infinity Cube - There San Diego
• Revisiting Paint, Glass and the Sea - Singapore Straits Times
• 50 dots around the world – Be Movement
• Mondo Magazine - Lenses and Lazers